Sunday, October 2, 2011

Gluten Free Short Ribs

I continue my quest to find delicious gluten free meals I can make for my daughter and that satisfy my husband! I was flipping through the latest Martha Stewart Living magazine the other day and came across her Short Rib Potpies. What peaked my interest was the fact that potatoes replaced the typical pie crust. I looked at the recipe carefully and found a few additional problems which might negatively affect my gluten free daughter. The first is the inclusion of stout and the second is the addition of flour. So, I trotted off to the local liquor store looking for a replacement for the stout. I was directed to Bard's Beer, the original sorghum malt beer. What a find! It has a fantastic flavor and taste. Even my husband couldn't tell the difference in the completed dish. The substitute for the flour was easy-cornstarch.

I like to make individual potpies so everyone gets their own share of the delicious topping and filling. Of course, I used my Lock and Lock "Zen and Lock" ceramic containers. I did notice on  Lock and Lock's website the Zen series has been replaced by "Silby" Ceramicware. The difference is that the Zen series has florals on it and the Silby is all white. Anyway, Lock and Lock is one of my favorite products for cooking and storage. I have a number of their products and I am always finding new ways to use them. One of the biggest benefits of the Ceramic container is that you can bake in it, serve it right at the table and store leftovers easily in the refrigerator using the patented Lock and Lock lid that snaps into place.

Here is my gluten free version of the Martha Stewart recipe. Enjoy!



Braised Short Rib, Wheat-free Beer, and Potato Potpies

      FILLING
4lbs boneless short ribs, cut into 2 inch pieces
salt and pepper
3Tbs cornstarch
3Tbs safflower oil
1medium yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
5garlic cloves, thinly sliced
212oz bottles wheat free beer
2rosemary sprigs
1lb cipollini onions, peeled
TOPPING
6medium russet potatoes (3.5 lbs)
Extra-virgin olive oil or Wegman's Basting Oil, with Garlic and Herbs for brushing
salt and pepper


1. Preheat the oven to 300°F. Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Dredge the short ribs in cornstarch, coating all sides. Transfer to a large plate using kitchen tongs. Brown the meat in a Dutch oven on medium high heat.
2. Reduce heat to medium. Add yellow onion to Dutch oven and cook until golden, about 8 minutes. Add garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Return meat to Dutch oven. Add stout and rosemary. Bring to a simmer. Cover and transfer to oven. Bake for 2.5 hrs.
3. Remove Dutch oven from oven and add cippolini onions. Braise until meat is tender and onions are cooked through, about 30 minutes. Shred meat using 2 forks. Season with salt and pepper. Divide filling among 8 (1-cup) mini casserole dishes or transfer to an 8-cup gratin dish.
4.For the Topping: Raise the oven temperature to 375°F. Peel potatoes and very thinly slice each on a mandoline. Arrange potatoes over meat to form tight concentric circles, working around the edge and overlapping each potato by three quarters. Brush lightly with oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. To make clean up easier put the dishes on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until topping is golden and filling is bubbling, 45 minutes for mini potpies, 1 hour for large.

No comments:

Post a Comment